Monday, March 11, 2013

The Reapening

An apology for this post being out of order, I should have posted this after Phnom Penh, but hopefully better late than never.  Also, for Jennifer Lawrence fans looking for a post on the Hunger Games, another apology as this will be a HG-free post. Ok, now to the post:


Wat do you think are the most what/wat jokes I can make in this post?  Let's find out:

After driving down from Phnom Penh, Marsh, Kristina and I arrived in Siam Reap on Friday late afternoon.  Siem Reap translates essentially to Siam Defeated (from when the Cambodians, you guessed it, defeated Siam).  Absolutely loved the city.  People are extremely friendly, the food was amazing, and it is even cheaper than Thailand, plus they really know how to build a wat/temple.

Saturday we met up with Kate, Jen, Carlyn and Matt K#2 (I refuse to call myself Matt K #2) and visited three wat's: Angkor Wat (the grand daddy of them all), Ta Prohm (aka the temple from Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones), and Angkor Thom (temple of many faces).

Wat would a post about SR be without an obligatory Angkor Wat water shot?

Angkor Wat (meaning Temple City), was built in the 12th century by King Suryavarman II



Ta Prohm
UNC
Wat are the odds either of us have actually seen Tomb Raider?

Right about the time I came up for a new hit television show...
...a Cambodian show called Wat Would You Do
Lots of fun in this photo
Marsh and Mr. Chaya strike a pose
Wat if they had chosen Naomi Watts to play Lara Croft Tomb Raider instead of Angelina Jolie?

I wear elephant pants, I look ridiculous- from the market down the road

Angkor Thom

Sunday we spent some time at the pool, visited the largest lake in SE Asia, and celebrated Kate's birthday:

Fishing village outside Siem Reap


Tonle Sap - largest lake in SE Asia
That's a lot of wat-er
Kate's Birthday dinner
I'm an omnivore, but this veggie burger had my mouth wat-ering

Tuk Tuk-ing around SR

Carlyn ordered the birthday girl a cake

Nighlife

Monday, we woke up to watch the Super Bowl at 6:30am, then Marsh and I took a taxi to the Cambodian-Thai border, followed by a mini-van back to Bangkok.


Super Bowl Breakfast
True story, Siem Reap has more Wat-age than NOLA's Super Dome

Jen and I impressed everyone by our expert building and stacking skills

Last note: After visiting Cambodia, I'm ready to declare Gangnam style as the biggest..song...ever...


Psy's influence knows no bounds

When little kids in a fishing village without electricity are mimicking your dance, you've done something right

No comments:

Post a Comment