Sunday, March 17, 2013

Seoul-dier Boy

To get me back stateside I just had to make a little SGN->DMK, BKK->ICN->SEA.
I left Bangkok at 2am with the temperature a healthy 89 degrees.  I landed at 8 am in Seoul, South Korea with the temperature at 30 degrees.  I was armed with a light-weight track jacket, so if that isn't preparation, I don't know what is!  (Side note, I was not a boy scout, flunked out at the cub scout level).

I had a 10 hour layover, and as nice as the Icheon International Airport was, this was my chance to live it up in Seoul.

I took a 53 minute (things run on a tight schedule in Seoul)  train from the airport into the city center.  I step outside into the cold and immediately see Psy (might of heard of him, or that one song he has.  It's mildly popular)...  Ok, see it wasn't Psy in person, but he was on a jumbo video-billboard pitching some product.

I'll mention that I have pretty much been preparing for a visit to South Korea since the summer of 2003, when Arrested Development introduced me to Annyong, both the Korean word for hello as well as character in the show.  But whether it was the pressure, the lack of sleep on the red-eye, or the the freezing temperature, I couldn't for the life of me remember if hello was Annyong Haseyo (it was) or Annyong Kasayo (it wasn't).  TLingle, I feel like I have let you down.

What is with that kid and his name?

With limited time I decided to checkout out a palace, a museum, Insadong district, and sample some local food. A quick visit to Seoul, but a great way to end my time in Asia.

Gyeongbokgung Palace

Frozen lake. We're not in Bangkok anymore...

Buckingham Palace guard East

Free museum with heat, yes please!

Insadong district- shopping, art and food galore

Fried delicious street food



No comments:

Post a Comment